Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Letter #40, (Byram, MS)

Well, he did it! He has served is all 4 states in the Mississippi, Jackson Mission! It is a large mission and covers parts of Mississippi, Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas. Elder Maddox was transferred to Mississippi this week which means in less that one year he has served and lived in all 4 states! That is pretty amazing. He is having a great mission experience. He has met so many wonderful people that have touch his life in amazing ways. It is so fun to read his weekly letters and to hear how serving has changed his life. It makes our missing him just a little bit easier.
~Lisa


Hey Momma!
So so so sorry for my lack of letters for the past few weeks. These last few weeks have been nothing but totall chaos, but in a good way. A lot has happened in the last two weeks, all ending with me in a new area. After two of the BEST transfers of my mission, president called to tell me Friday morning and told me that I was finally heading to Mississippi, to the area of Florance. While the area is called Florance, we live in a suburb of Jackson called Byrum. We actually have part of South Jackson in our area, so I will let you know why Johnny Cash wanted to get here so bad! But its getting hot. Its 85 right now, plus the famous southern humidity cranked up right now. But Byrum is great so far. We, my new companion Elder Anderson from Bountiful Utah, we were able to sit down with Bishop Young and his family last night once we got here, and he is a very energetic bishop, and I look forward to serving with him to help the Floracne ward grow! Another amazing thing that is happening to me that has not yet happened is I am walking into a few baptisms. On Monday, ya its a random day but it works, we have the Baptism of A family here. This family already has grand plans for a trip to Baton Rouge next year to go to the temple and be sealed for time and eternity as a family! Ahhh! I can't wait for the upcoming months, there is so much potential here, I got a great companion, and the Stone is going to roll! Speaking of a rolling stone, did anyone notice how AMAZING conference was! I loved each and every second of it, from Saturday Morning to the final farewell of President Monson, it was all so amazing. There were two or three reoccurring thoughts that seemed to be on the minds of the individuals who spoke. The first was preparation for what is to come. We know from the scriptures that the time prior to the Second coming of our Savior will be havoc to say the least. But with proper preparation, such as food storage, and emergency know how, we will be okay, as long as we have a firm foundation in Christ. What I love is that many of the speakers followed up talks of doomsday-second coming chaos, with the word peace. What an amazing thought, that if we do what God's modern Prophets and apostles council us too do, these days that many look at in a fearful way can be peaceful to us who are prepaired! Loved the talk from Elder Uchtdorf entitled "the Hope of God's Light." I don't want to take parts of it and post them here, but anyone who is stuggling, come listen to a phrophets voice, and you will find comfort! The other major idea that was talked about, was member missionary work! Now I am proably a bit biased because of my calling right now, but the apostles were very quick, and very bold in extending invitations to all to do missionary work, and help all of the growing missionary force. If you do blessings will come! Sorry momma, I know you wanted a bunch of stories, but with the transfer happening it was hard to do, give me a week!! Talk to you next week, love y'all!
~Elder Maddox

No comments:

Post a Comment