Friday, December 21, 2012

A Very Special Christmas Card!

Today we went about our family Christmas traditions...on the first day or so of Christmas break, all of the Maddox cousins gather together and make "Christmas Trains" which consist of lots of mini candy bars fixed on a paper plate with frosting. Then decorated with lots of different candies. There were at least 29 cousins participating today, so needless to say it was crazy and fun. While we are often missing a cousin or two, today was especially hard.. missing 4 of our missionary cousins. For me, things seem just a little bit off not having Steven home especially during these family activities. This Christmas was the first time in years that I didn't send out our family Christmas card mostly because it made me too sad to not include him in the family picture. Well, when I got home this evening and began to open the mail, there was a Christmas card and I didn't recognize the name so I assumed that it was from a business associated of Steve's. I started looking at the picture that came with the card. As I looked at each person to see if I recognized any one...I gasped, I was so surprised at who I recognized...it was Boo (Elder Steven Maddox)! He was standing right in the middle of this family! I was so excited! Then, I remembered him mentioning in a letter last week that he would be spending this Christmas with the Bowman Family and how much he liked them. And they had just sent ME a Christmas card with their family and the missionaries in it! I cried when I saw the picture and cried again when I read the special note in the card. I will share it here..


"Dear Bro. and Sis. Maddox,
          We wanted to wish your family a Very Merry CHRISTMAS!! We have truly enjoyed getting to know your son, Elder Maddox - what an Awesome Missionary! His excitement for the Gospel has truly touched our family. We have ALL grown to love him as a part of our family. Thank you for teaching him the gospel and for sharing him with us. We pray that your Christmas and New year are full of Blessings!"
                                               ~The Bowman Family


Wow!   That letter and picture made my day and helped ease, if just a little bit, my sense of missing him so much during these special days.   I am glad to know that he will be sharing Christmas with such a wonderful family and again that there are so many kind and generous people watching over my boy.
                             ~Lisa



 
Making Christmas trains...



The Bowman Family and Elder Jasperson (back left) and Elder Maddox (back center)
                   

No comments:

Post a Comment