Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Letter #16 (Shreveport, LA)

Whats up world!
So an interesting event took place about a half hour ago. My trainer got on a van and headed towards home. Weird thought that my safety net is gone, and I am now in charge of the Shreveport Downtown area. My new companion Elder Marrell is on his way to Shreveport, and for the time being I get to hang out with the Zone Leaders for the time being. Always good fun to be with them. But this next coming week is sure to be one of excitement as I get to meet another missionary who has chosen to put aside two years and put on the suit and the black name tag.
Elder Spangler chose to go out with a bang this week in sacrament meeting with possible the BEST fast and testimony meeting of all times. During the meeting we had two confirmations, a family that we were able to hear from that had just been sealed, who were baptized just a year ago, a missionary that had just got home, Elder Spangler, who is getting ready to leave, and a missionary who had his call, and was fixin to leave in the next two weeks. I was in tears if we were being honest. It is absolutely amazing how abundant the Spirit is in the life as a missionary. And in so many different ways. For example we were teaching a less active lady, and her two kids. During the lesson, I didn't feel the traditional burning of the heart that I usually do to relate to the spirit. Because of this I felt that we had missed the mark on what we should have taught them. But when I looked up they were in tears, and were feeling the spirit very strongly. See while I wasn't feeling it in my heart, my thoughts were clear, and my words were precise. It was amazing that I knew what to say, and when to say it. The gifts of the Spirit are abundant, and more often than not, go unnoticed. But I have really been able to see the Spirit work through me, and make up for my shortcomings as a missionary this week, and I gotta say, its been fun. It is such a great feeling to be able to facilitate the spirit in people's lives. It is truly an honor to be here, and to be here now.
These next two weeks, even though Elder Spangler won't be able to see it, will be filled with three baptisims. One of them, Bobbi Peters is a mother of a 20 year old who was baptised two years ago, and has been a great example to his mother. She is getting baptized on the 19th of this month, by her son, and will be an amazing experience. This will only be the first step for the Peters family. Later this year, Daniel, her son, will be prepairng to serve a mission to help pay back for the missionaries who found him. They are truly an amazing family, who will be the example for anyone who happens upon them. The other two baptizims set for the same date, August 19, are the son's of the couple that was sealed on Saturday. The dad, Sydney, approached me on Sunday and asked that I would start to teach them, so that he may baptize them on the 19th. It is truly an honor to know that this ward, inparticaular the Knight family, trust me enough to work with their son's to help them progress toward baptism. Truly an amazing experience for me.
Cousin Zack!!! Bro I am so Excited for you!! You go tomorrow! Get ready for some crazy times. Amazing feelings await you, and I hope that it is all that you hope for it to be! Love you bro, hope that you get to see Cousin Sam in there!
~Elder Maddox!

No comments:

Post a Comment